Monday, January 19, 2009

Quarter of a Century....ALREADY?!

Ok...so...It just hit me today that next week (the 29th) is my 25th birthday.....do I need to repeat....25th birthday and I honestly can't believe it! I mean, seriously, where has the time gone? Just yesterday I was a 15 yr old freshman in high school learning how to drive and now....now I'm a so-called "grown up" who has finished college and is now working full-time as a nurse!! When did this happen?? I can remember being younger and people older than me were turning 21 and I thought I would NEVER make it to that age and here I am turning 25! That's a quarter of a century! I'm sorry to beat it to a pulp, but this is serious business for me! I think the reason this is a big deal for me is because in some ways I am where I want to be in my life and in other ways, I'm not.
You know when you're young you sometimes plan your life out? Well, that was me! I always thought that I would get married young (almost did!), have kids young and start my family at a young age (meaning around 20-21). I know most people would think I'm crazy for thinking that, but that was just me. In other terms, I finished nursing school (successfully) and have been working for almost 2 years now, but I don't have the other part....I don't have the marriage, the kids, etc. I have had older ladies tell me that they wish they could be in my situation i.e. young, single, no obligations, nothing holding me down. I must admit the way they make it sound, I do have it good, BUT that's not always what I want. Sometimes I DO want kids b/c it seems like EVERYONE around me at this exact moment is having them! and I do mean EVERYONE!As cliche as it sounds, isn't it funny how we always want what we can't have? That always seems to be true with me. I want to be content with what I do have. I'm more likely to be happier that way. There is a song by Switchfoot called "This Is Your Life" and it is in line with what I'm talking about. It simply states

"This is your life,

are you who you want to be?
This is your life
are you who you want to be?
This is your life,
is it everything you dreamed that it would be
when the world was younger
and you had everything to lose"

Kinda makes you stop and think doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment