Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Love is patient...

After recently watching "Fireproof" (the movie), my mom purchased the book "The Love Dare" that was a huge part of the movie. I decided that I wanted to read it. Not because I am in a marriage that is crumbling to the ground, but to maybe give me a better understanding of love...true love. The way the book is laid out is it's a 40 day journey (or dare, if you will) and each day starts with teaching a characteristic about love, then at the end of that chapter it gives you a "dare", something to do for your spouse that relates to that characteristic of love. I haven't finished the book yet, but I wanted to share some things that have really jumped out at the me and have spoken to me already.

The very first day is about patience. I was actually really excited to read this chapter because those of you who know me well, know that I have little-to-NO patience! It's something I have always strived to have more of, but I have never really seemed to grasp it. In this book, it tells us that love will inspire us to become patient people. It says that rather than being restless and demanding, love helps you settle down....it brings an internal calm to an external storm. The book said something though that really hit home for me and you can apply it not only to a marriage, but to any relationship you have. It says,

"Patience gives your spouse permission to be human. It understands that everyone fails. When a mistake is made, it chooses to give them more time than they deserve to correct it. It gives you the ability to hold on during the tough times in your relationship rather than bailing out under pressure."

This, to me not only is a great definition of patience, but of forgiveness and grace as well. We are human, we are going to make mistakes. I have learned that when you truly love someone (the kind of love that ONLY comes from God), you are able to forgive someone that seems unforgivable and are able to extend grace (and mercy) to people that don't deserve it. The reason we are able to do that is because we have Christ in us and that is the ONLY way we are able to do it. Without Him, it's impossible, but with Him, ALL things are possible. Just through reading the first few chapters of this book, I am learning more about how TRUE love only comes from God. There are other types of love (which I will write about later), but those types of love will quickly fade in time, but true, agape love which comes from Jesus in us, NEVER fails.

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amy! I heard "Something Heavenly" on the radio yesterday and was wondering where I had heard the song before, then realized it was from your blog! I love that song too and I am glad you pointed it out :)

    ReplyDelete