Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Praying through a Storm...

Here is a blog from a sweet family I know Mike and April Reed. He has been battling Hodgkin's disease for quite some time now. Here is a recent post by April:

"I try not to blog much about cancer, but I guess I can break my own rule every once in a while. I feel like God wants me to open up about this subject. So, if you're looking for some cute pictures and fun stories, this probably won't be the post for you:)

This September will be 10 years since Mike's initial diagnosis of Hodgkin's Lymphoma {yes, the one with a 90% cure rate.} Mike will be 30 next month. He was diagnosed when he was 19 years old. He's spent almost 1/3 of his life with cancer. He hasn't been in remission since 2003. He's had cancer the entire time we've been married. But you would never know it; that's one of the coolest things about Mike. Thankfully it's rubbed off on me too. I figure that if Mike doesn't want to talk about it and dwell on it, who am I to make it a constant topic of conversation? But sometimes that gets hard...

Friday night Mike woke up at midnight with throbbing back pain. He thought sitting up in the recliner would help, but it only got worse. At 2:30 am, he told me he needed to go to the ER. This would have always upset me, but this time was different. There's something about picking up your sleeping child to put him in a car seat to drive your husband to the ER at 2:30 in the morning that makes you angry. I wasn't angry at Mike, and I don't think I was angry at God. But I was angry. It was one of those times I just wanted a normal life, as if there is such a thing.

Today when Dr. M came in the room and told us that the PET scan results showed an increase in cancer after the current chemotherapy regimen, I couldn't hold back the tears. This was only the second time I've cried during one of Mike's doctor appointments. I can usually hold it together, but today was different. I kept thinking about Trent and how I don't want him to worry about cancer. I know you can't always protect your children from pain, but I want him to have a healthy daddy.

One of our biggest goals is to live our lives as if cancer wasn't an issue. Mike succeeds 99% of the time, and I like to think I'm getting better too. Thankfully we have a loving God and a great support system.

Mike starts another treatment tomorrow. If you think about it, say a prayer for us. I'm overwhelmed, but I'm blessed to have such a Godly husband and precious son."

Please be praying for them during this time. Here is their website as well.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/michaelreed

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy, my name is Miranda and I am blown away by this post. I have been looking for my pen pal from childhood, just casually, out of curiosity for the past 6 months or so. Her name was April Miller and she would be about 35-37 now, from Opelika, AL. I've just never forgotten her and how much I loved our back and forth letters on Lisa Frank stationary with our wallet sized school pics inside. She was blonde, long hair, and seemed bubbly and sweet in all her letters. I couldn't sleep last night and I began googling. One thing led to another and then I found this post. I am absolutely floored because I think this is her and I am heartbroken. She's been through so much and I wish I could have at least been there for her through cards and letters. I'm assuming you know her well and hopefully pass her this information. If this really is my old friend....can you please tell her I said hello...and that I have such good memories of her. I would love to send her a letter for old times sake and see where she is at today. My email is winwinsituation22@gmail.com and my phone is 501.412.7110. I hope you still check this account! Thanks so much. Fingers crossed this is her!

    ReplyDelete