Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day #4

On day #4 of the blog challenge, you're supposed to write about your parents, but I have a little something else I would like to share today.
Yesterday I killed my very first deer, the very first time I ever went hunting. It was SO exciting and fun! I am still feeling the excitement! It all started with a little target shooting yesterday at Ben's farm. I had been telling him that I needed to target shoot because I eventually wanted to go hunting. I was a little nervous about shooting the gun because I know guns usually "kick" and I was scared it would hurt. I went out to Ben's farm right around lunch time (yes, in the nasty rain) and we practiced. I was so surprised that the gun I shot didn't kick me at all (well...it didn't hurt at all.) After several practice shots, Ben said I was good to go.
At the last minute Ben decided that it would be a great day for hunting (because of the weather) and figured we would see some deer if we went as long as I could stand sitting in a tree stand with it raining some. I decided that I needed to take the chance, so we both suited up and headed out to his lease land. The scariest part was climbing in the stand! I couldn't believe how nervous I was about that. I'm not normally scared of heights, but I think it was the fact that the wind was blowing, therefore the tree was moving and it just made me nervous. Within 10 minutes, we had already seen 3 doe and a 5 pt that was way too far to shoot. We saw several other doe (one that I ALMOST shot at, but hesitated and she walked away) and then saw a spike walk RIGHT in front of our stand at about 8 yds away! It was really neat. There was a green field that we kept eyeing just waiting for something to walk out. I started getting pretty cold and my hands were like ice, but Ben said it was getting to be "prime time" and I decided I was not giving up now. Then all of a sudden, a doe walked onto the green field...I started getting excited....so I pulled the gun up, found the doe in the scope and watched her...I waited a little too long b/c she walked behind a tree. There was a smaller deer right behind her, but I knew I wasn't going to shoot that. Then all of a sudden another one walked into the green field...what appeared to be a good size doe. I lined it up, and didn't hesitate. I shot the deer and it literally dropped like a sack of potatoes at about 90 yds away. Ben was so excited...I think he was more excited than me at first. He was like "ahh you dropped it, I can't believe you dropped it!!" Ben grabbed the gun for me and was going to shoot the other doe that had been in the field, but she ran away. We got out of the stand and walked to see my kill and realized it was a spike!! I know normally you don't shoot spikes, but it was my first time and we could tell that it was a spike from the stand. We met up with Ben's cousin Chris Adams and the photo shoot began. I got a little blood on my cheeks and started posing away. :) After loading it up, we went by Chris Schnarr's house to show it off (and take more pictures).
It was such a fun and exciting experience. I never would have thought that I would have actually ENJOYED hunting. I always wanted to go just to go and maybe even kill a deer (just to say I killed one). But I sorta can't wait to go again and hopefully kill a bigger buck next time. I am blessed that my first experience deer hunting was a good one. Saw lots of deer, it wasn't TOO cold (although I got pretty cold) and I ended the hunt with a kill. Doesn't get any better than that!!

"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me..."--Genesis 27:3
Here are some pictures from the night...


2 comments: