Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Living a Life that Causes Heads to Turn & Footprints!

WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW!!! It has been another awesome morning with God revealing Himself to me! It's so encouraging to know that when we start to feel down, God always has a way of picking us up! Whether it's through a simple song, reading His Word, through advice and encouraging words of a faithful friend...all these things, He uses to pour out His love on us and remind us that He never leaves or forsakes us.

My devotion for today was really convicting, yet really good at the same time. She has been talking about living intentionally, with a purpose. Today in the devotion, she asks,

"How much time did you spend yesterday thinking about how someone hurt your feelings? How much time did you spend yesterday thinking about how unjustified that situation was? How much time....etc.." Then she went on to say, "How much time did you spend collectively last week thinking about how you could encourage someone? How much time did you spend collectively last week about how you could show love to a neighbor?"
That really makes you stop and think, right? Well, she goes on to talk about how we should never underestimate the impact we have on others, positive or negative. She' says "Nothing is neutral--you make a mark on someone's life today. Did you inspire or motivate? Did you leave that person more confident than when you found them? Did you extend kindness and mercy? Did you make someone laugh?"

We come in contact with many different types of people everyday. It may be the person that checked you out at the grocery store, it may be someone at work (for me co-workers and patients), someone attending your church for the first time, someone who simply stops and asks for directions...you left something....what did you leave?

Her words were SO convicting! We all need to be more conscious of how we are presenting ourselves, not only to people we know, but to people we are meeting for the first time. I know for me, I want to be a light. I want people to be able to look at me or meet me and see how much joy and love I have in my heart and think "Where does that come from?" and I would have to say that it ONLY comes from my Father in Heaven and Jesus in my heart, because if it wasn't for Him, I would be a total mess. This devotion reminded me of a verse that I always try to stay conscious of. It says,

"Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."
--1 Peter 2:12

In my Bible I had written next to that verse from a speaker I heard that said, "Live a life that will cause heads to turn because of Jesus in your heart." THAT is what I want, right there! I want people to see me as different, I want to stand out, I don't just want to blend in. A new song I found today was so encouraging to me and part of it says,

"Be strong in the Lord and never give up hope. You're going to do great things,
I already know. God's got His hand on you, so don't live life in fear.
Forgive and forget, but don't forget why you're here.
Take your time and pray. That's what I would say....from one simple
life to another...."--Sidewalk Prophets

We are called to hold each other accountable and be encouragers to one another. "But encourage one another daily, as long as it is Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." (Hebrews 3:13).

Are you leaving someone with a smile or a scowl on your face? Are you saying something uplifting or are you choosing to gossip? Remember to "Be kinder than necessary for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle" (Anonymous). You may be the only smile they see that day, you may be the only word of encouragement they get that week or the first hug they've had in months.

Are you living a life that causes heads to turn?...

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can
do him absolutely no good."--Samuel Johnson

On a completely different note. This past week, I have felt led to start volunteering for The Footprints Ministry.

Their mission is:

"Walking in God's grace and Sharing His Love with families in the
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit."

This ministry is there to support families who have babies that are born extremely early or are extremely sick and have to stay in the hospital in the NICU. This is really close to my heart because although I don't work in the NICU, I work a lot on our High Risk OB unit which has lots of moms who end up having babies early and their babies end up in the NICU. I get so close to a lot of these moms, hence the reason this is close to my heart. The ministry gives each family a gift bag which has a bible, a camera (for the family or nurses to take pictures of the baby),gift cards to local restaurants and stores, a burp cloth monogrammed with footprints, a scent blankie with poem attached for the mother to sleep with and return to the baby, toothbrushes, prayer request cards, pens/notepads, kleenex, baby magazine. There are so many opportunities to volunteer with this ministry and I can't wait to get started! They are having a "Footprints to the Finishline" run/fundraiser this month on the 27th. Although I can't be there to be apart of it, I am sending my entry fee as a donation. If anyone is interested check out their website. It's for a GREAT cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment