Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Letting Go and Letting God

I found this in a little monthly devotional called "Journey" and thought I would share it. It really spoke to me.

"When someone has hurt you, forgiving that person is the only step to take toward growing, healing and moving on. In order to free yourself from chains of bitterness and anger, release any thoughts of revenge.

Forgiveness is an ongoing work of the Holy Spirit, so don't be alarmed if your anger takes a while to fade and doesn't disappear immediately after you've made the choice to forgive someone. Depending on how much you were hurt, you may have to continue to forgive on deeper levels as the Holy Spirit reveals how badly you've been wounded. When life isn't going like we expect it to or want it to, it's time to take a closer look at our expectations. Behind our expectations our pride and self-centeredness give our wishes and desires preeminence. When we get upset because life isn't going like we planned, it often reveals exactly how strongly we believe that we are more deserving or more important than others. The truth is, life does not revolved around us. Plus, we live in a fallen world, so life will most likely not go according to our plans.

When your expectations aren't met, talk to God about it. Acknowledge to Him that His ways aren't always your ways, and ask Him to help you let go of your expectations and depend on Him. When someone's telling us something we don't want to hear, but they're right and we're wrong, it's time for us to swallow our pride, take advice and change....."

My mom actually gave this to me to read and I was like "WOW! if that's not God speaking to me, then I don't know what is!" The last part where it talks about life not going as you had planned...MAN! That is SO me right now. I think lately (just being honest), I have felt a little...down. I can't really put my finger on why exactly, but I think after reading that, it helped me a lot. I think I have just been feeling lately that nothing is going my way. (Sounds like a 5 yr old doesn't it??). It seems like everything I touch is doomed for failure or something. Maybe I am in a depressed mood..I don't really know, but all I know is that I want OUT of this FUNK--NOW!! It's like the devotion said, I know I just need to take that and lay it before God. Let Him know what my expectations are and give all that up to Him. I need to let Him handle it. He knows far better what is best for me than I could EVER imagine. I THINK I know what's best for me, but He has definitely proved me wrong there before. I need to remember times where God has proven himself to me the most and know that He is taking care of me. Even in this season of my life where I feel like nothing is going right...He is there, every step of the way, taking care of me..I just have to let HIM guide my steps. Maybe I haven't been doing that as much as I thought I have...maybe it's time to really hand it all over...but that's the hard part right?? Actually handing it over? I know God is trying to draw me closer to Him right now...now more than ever maybe...and I just need to surrender it all. I am starting the Beth Moore study in the next week or so called "Esther" and let me just tell you--I am PUMPED!! It's gonna be awesomeness! Here is a quote from the study that I found, that I L-O-V-E!!

"Even those most serious about their pursuit of God and godliness fail to be perfect examples all the time.... The mystery is not that an earthly hero can still be flawed and fall to cultural pressures but that God, in His mercy, chooses at times to retain only the snapshots He took when they were standing firm."--Beth Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment