Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A New Hobby=Obsession

I realize it's again, been a pretty good while since I have blogged. I am on call for work tonight, so naturally, I can't sleep and it's late at night. I figured I would try to catch up on what's been going on with the Adams family.

I started hunting last season and quickly discovered that I loved it. I killed a deer on my first time ever going hunting (with Ben) and I was hooked.
November 26, 2010

There is no other feeling like "buck fever". That's the rush and nervousness you get when you see a deer then make the decision to shoot it. Your adrenaline is pumping, your heart's racing and you are shaking all over. Then, after you shoot it and realize it was successful, you can still hear your heart beating in side your chest and your hands are still shaking. I remember after killing my 2nd deer (a 7 pt), I was wanting to text people cause I was so excited and could hardly do it because my hands were shaking so bad. It's such a great feeling and the closer it gets to hunting season, the more I crave it.
December 26, 2010

So, that leads me up to my newest hobby/obsession...archery. I NEVER in my wildest dreams would have ever thought I would like hunting much less, hunting with a bow. A couple of weeks ago, I told Ben that I wanted to learn to shoot a bow. It was not his idea, but mine. My friend, Andrea has bow hunted for a couple of years, so I borrowed hers just to see if I even liked it. The thing about shooting a bow that most people don't realize is that it's A LOT harder than it looks. Andrea's bow was set at 42 pounds (the weight that you pull back). So, naturally, I could NOT pull that back without Ben's help. Pulling back a bow requires muscles in your shoulders and back that you don't normally use. After a couple of days of Ben helping me pull the bow back, we finally went up to Sportsman's Outpost to get the pounds lowered. I still couldn't pull it back. After much debate and talking, I decided that instead of using some extra money I had to purchase a rifle, I bought a bow instead. I haven't regretted it since. I can always borrow a rifle, but a bow is made to fit the individual based on their draw length and such. So in order to learn the proper way, I needed a bow that fit me perfectly. Let me just go ahead and say--I'm IN LOVE with my bow.
Of course my bow wouldn't be complete without pink accessories :). I have liked it so much that I've developed tendonitis in my left shoulder from over doing it! I would either shoot or pull back my bow SEVERAL times a day for the past 2 weeks. I've increased the weight I pull back and feel at this point, it's a personal challenge. I am hoping to get up to legal weight for this season to be able to attempt to kill a deer with my bow.

I'm getting better at getting my arrows closer together :)

I'm not able to shoot for a little while until my shoulder heals a little better. But trust me, I'm itching to get back to it! I have gotten in touch with several women hunters on facebook and have become friends with Leigh Creekbaum who has a hunting show with her husband, Travis called The Chase with Leigh and Travis. They live in Birmingham, Alabama. I had the privilege of meeting Leigh in person for lunch the other day. She is SUCH a sweet, down to earth person and I wish I could see her all the time because I could've talked to her forever that day. She's been such an encourager through me learning to shoot a bow :)
This past Friday, Ben and I went to a marriage seminar at our church called "Love Worth Fighting For" by Kirk Cameron. It was such a great conference and was so neat to hear someone famous in Hollywood give such a testimony to God's faith in marriage. I also got a cute, but cheesy t-shirt while I was there :)

Oh, and check out this huge rattle snake that Ben killed right near our house! I can't believe I actually held the darn thing, but I told Ben I would hold it with gloves on.


I will end on this note....even the Bible tells us to hunt :)

"Now then, get your quiver and bow and go out to the open country and hunt some wild game..."
--Genesis 27:3

No comments:

Post a Comment